LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Fidel in Albuquerque

   . . . I woke out of my recurrent dreamscape of Albuquerque's North Valley, in which I visited various families . . . in the company of Fidel.  If even I am dreaming of Fidel, imagine the dreams of the Cuban people.

This landscape could be in Cuba, but it's the North Valley

Since that dream I've been remembering how I marveled at my lack of culture shock on my first trip to Cuba.  It was because living in New Mexico, as different as the two places are, had well prepared me.  Though they speak Spanish so differently, it's still Spanish and the place names are Spanish names.  Belén is Belén in both places -- which is how the Spanish name Bethlehem.  There are very many Beléns in both places.

   . . . It rained almost all of yesterday and all of the night too. The morning began bright blue and sunny, but now the clouds are back. So is the wind. Temps are already starting down to the promised night low in the 30's.

It's drizzling in Havana today. But it's still hot so very sticky -- not very comfortable. However el V's's happier though because he keep running into people as he walks around and then interviews them for the Billboard piece. I suggested he donate part of the Sarah Lawrence honorarium for speaking to the class last night to bringing home rum.  Bottles of Cuban rum will be quite useful for the Season.  


No comments: